Good afternoon! I hope your student has settled into the first few weeks of school this year. We are excited to be under way and look forward to another great year at Caledonia!
Caledonia’s Parent Advisory Council (PAC) will meet for the first time this year on Tuesday, October 1st. I would like to encourage all interested parents to come out to this meeting and learn more about what the PAC does to support our school and students. The PAC meets once per month throughout the school year to discuss school organization, events, and funding for various extra-curricular events. Many parents can be scared away from joining the PAC, believing that they will need to spend a bunch of time fundraising. I want to assure each of you that this is not the case at Caledonia. Our PAC oversees the gaming grant money that is allocated to the school each year and determines the best use of these funds, but does not engage in fundraising as an organization. The time commitment to be part of the PAC is roughly one hour per month, and it gives parents a direct voice as to what happens within the school and is a great way to keep updated on school initiatives, events and growth plan focus.
We would love to see you out on October 1st to be part of this group! We meet in the Caledonia library at 7:00 the first Tuesday of each month.
Keith Axelson, Principal
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I would like to welcome the school community to the 2019-2020 School Year! We are looking forward to working with all of you this year on behalf of Coast Mountains learners, and continue to make progress towards our School District goals.
Shared Vision …“Coast Mountains School District: creating opportunities for learning, opportunities for life.”
District Goals … Raise literacy and numeracy levels for all of our learners. Graduation for every learner; crossing the stage with dignity, purpose and options. Enhance learner engagement, opportunities and choice through personalized learning.
I look forward to working together to ensure that our focus on student learning is maintained while at the same time develop and foster a positive School District culture. It is only through, working together, that we can have the greatest effect on kids and learning.
School Opening … the first day of school will be Wednesday, September 4. We have well established routines and we will follow our normal opening day routines with a shortened first day. Buses will make their morning runs at the usual time on September 4 with their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours. Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School students please reference below for September 4 start times. As you will know, these first days allow us to greet students, set preliminary enrolment and then prepare in earnest for the coming school days. Our first full day of school will be Thursday, September 5 with regular school hours and bus runs in effect. Bus routes and school start times are provided below.
If you require information on which school your child should attend, please call (250) 638-4401 or 1-855-635-4931, Local 4401.
We look forward to welcoming your children in our schools on September 4.
Acting Superintendent of Schools
Kindergarten pupils are requested to begin attending
on the date arranged by the school. Pupils not pre-registered should register on the
SCHOOL OPENING – SEPTEMBER 4, 2019 FOR ALL STUDENTS
at the times as listed in the following 2019-2020 CMSD82 Return to School Messages
which will run in local newspapers in preparation for the new school year.
- On September 4 only, buses for all schools will make their morning runs at the usual time and their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours.
- On September 4, Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School, Grades 7 and 8, report to the large gym at 9:00 a.m.; Grades 9 to 12, report to their home room at 12:30 p.m. A second bus run for Mount Elizabeth Secondary will begin at 11:40 a.m. on September 4.
REGULAR SCHOOL HOURS AND BUS RUNS WILL COMMENCE
ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2019.
SCHOOL DISTRICT 2019-2020 BUS SCHEDULES/ROUTES
2019-2020 Hazelton-Kitwanga Bus Schedules-Routes – Effective Sept. 5, 2019
2019-2020 Kitimat Bus Schedules-Routes – Effective Sept. 5, 2019
2019-2020 Terrace-Thornhill Bus Schedules-Routes – Effective Sept. 5, 2019
(the above links provide one PDF file for each respective area with all bus routes/stops)
Terrace: School buses will only be provided to students living outside the city boundaries. Those students living within city boundaries should consult the Terrace Regional Transit System for scheduling information and rates at 250-635-2666.
Should you have questions or concerns regarding bus routing and scheduling the following steps are suggested:
1) Contact your child’s/children’s School Principal.
2) Contact the Operations Manager at Diversified Transportation bus lines at 250-635-7042 or 1-855-538-5287 for out of town.
I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. We are now busy in the Caledonia office preparing for the upcoming school year. Our office is open from 8:30 – 3:45 Monday through Friday until the Opening of school. Just a few reminders for parents and students about the start up:
- Counselors will be in the school the week of August 26th to 30th to assist students with changes to timetables and to help enroll new students. It is advisable to come and discuss possible course changes this week, as the first week of school is very busy in the counselling office and students may have to wait to change courses.
- The first official day of classes for students is on Wednesday, September 4th. On that day, students will attend a half day with a mini block rotation of their first semester courses. Dismissal on September 4th will be at 11:00. Thursday, September 5th will be the first regular day of classes for students.
- A letter to all parents will be going out next week with important information about school start-up, and will include an updated student schedule. Please keep an eye out in your mail for this letter, and if you have not received one by Monday, August 26th, please contact the school office.
- This year we welcome a second vice principal to Caledonia. Mr. Joe Dominguez, a long time Caledonia teacher, will assume his new role as vice principal. We are excited to welcome Mr. Dominguez to the administrative team at Caledonia. We also welcome quite a few new teachers to Caledonia this fall.
Jacquelynne Amendt – Band, Choir and Foods 10-12
Jon Hanna – PE 10/11/12 and School Completion
Samantha Lambright – Career Life Education, Social Studies and Kermode Alternate
Matt Lowndes – PE 10, Basketball Superfit, Career Life Education
David Lewis – Career Life Education and English
Eric Metzmeier – Math
We are looking forward to an exciting new school year and look forward to working with you and your child this year!
Keith Axelson, Principal